Mon, Tue & Fri Closed
Wed 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Thu 7:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Patients currently being seen at
3900 Eubank Boulevard NE, Suite 14
Albuquerque, NM 87111
Mon 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Tue & Wed 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Thu 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Fri 7:00 AM - 2:00 PM (Every other Friday,Starting January 2024)
7127 Prospect Place NE
You can look great and still have an underlying Periodontal condition (gum disease). Call ABQ Dentists today for a check up.
What is Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal diseases are infections of the gums, which gradually destroy the support of your natural teeth. Dental plaque is the primary cause of gum disease in genetically susceptible individuals. Bacteria found in plaque produce toxins or poisons, which irritate the gums. They may cause them to turn red, swell and bleed easily. If this irritation is prolonged, the gums separate from the teeth, causing pockets (spaces) to form. Plaque can also harden into a rough, porous substance known as calculus (tartar). This can occur both above and below the gum line. As periodontal disease progresses, the supporting gum tissue and bone that holds the teeth in place deteriorate. If left untreated, this leads to tooth loss. Periodontal disease is sometimes hard to recognize because there is often no pain, and may not be any bleeding, redness, or swelling. However, this disease damages the teeth, gums, and jawbone of more than 80% of Americans by the age of 45.
ABQ Dentists is committed to preventing and eliminating this destructive disease among our patients. Periodontal disease is caused by a large buildup of the bacteria found in plaque, which erode the soft tissues of the mouth.
Sometimes the only way to detect periodontal disease is through a periodontal evaluation. This may be especially important in the following situations:
- If you notice any symptoms of periodontal disease, include:
- Gums that bleed easily, such as during brushing or flossing
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
- Gums that have pulled away from the teeth
- Persistent bad breath
- Pus between the teeth and gums
- Loose or separating teeth
- A change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
- If you have a family with periodontal disease. Research suggests that the bacteria that cause periodontal disease can pass through to saliva. This means the common contact of saliva in families puts children and couples at risk for contracting the periodontal disease of another family member.
- If you have heart disease, diabetes, respiratory disease or osteoporosis. Ongoing research is showing that periodontal disease may be linked to these conditions. The bacteria associated with periodontal disease can travel into the blood stream and pose a threat to other parts of the body. Healthy gums may lead to a healthier body.
- If you are not satisfied with your current tooth replacement option, such as a bridge or dentures, and may be interested in dental implants.
- If you have a sore or irritation in your mouth that does not get better within two weeks.
Schedule Your Appointment Now
ABQ Dentists welcomes new and returning patients. We'd love to remake your smile!